The history of Leavesden Studios
Leavesden Studios has served a number of prominent institutions since it was first built over 70 years ago, most recently of course major film studios.
Its history began when it was originally acquired by the Ministry of Defence in 1939 as a production base for thousands of aircraft including the Mosquito Fighter and Halifax Bombers. When the war ended the site was bought by Rolls Royce and it continued as a base for aircraft manufacture, although progressing onto large aircraft engines. The factory eventually closed in 1992.
The gates opened again in 1994 when Leavesden began a new life as a film studio. Over the ensuing years, the facility housed a number of high-profile productions including James Bond: Goldeneye, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Menace, Longitude, An Ideal Husband and Tim Burton’s Sleepy Hollow. It went on to become home to the most successful film series of all time with all eight of the Harry Potter films being shot at the studio. The studio remained home to the franchise until the final instalment Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 completed filming in 2010.